Announcement : 

Term Dates 2024 Term 1: Wed 7 Feb – Fri 12 AprTerm 2: Mon 29 Apr – Fri 5 JulTerm 3: Mon 22 Jul – Fri 27 SepTerm 4: Mon 14 Oct – Thur 19 Dec

Wednesday 14 June Newsletter

SILVERDALE SCHOOL
School Newsletter
Learn to Journey – Journey to Learn
Ako ki te Haere – Haere ki te Ako

Wednesday 14 June

Newsletter

Kia ora, Talofa, Malo e leleli, Kia orana, Fakalofa lahi Atu, Taloha Ni, Ni sa bula, 你好, Namaste, 안녕하세요, Hola, Xin chao. 

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to Harper Haworth, Jaco Munnik, Melody Zhao, Liam Bassett, Harper Oldfield, Emily Friedwald, Lucy Wang, Nathan Kotze, Louie Cox, Ally Groenewald and Jaxon Planjar.

Learning Conservations – Wednesday 15 June and Thursday 16 June

The learning conversations are three-way conferences with the teacher, child and parent. Three-way conferences take the form of a conversation between the child, the parents and the teacher as they sit together and talk about the child’s learning, with the child taking an equal role. This approach give children an opportunity to share with their parents their growth as a learner. The three-way conferences are designed to achieve one or more of the following goals:

• to help children demonstrate evidence of learning,
  • to teach children the process of reflection and self-evaluation,
  • to facilitate the development of child’s organisational and oral communication skills and to increase their self-confidence,
  • to encourage children, parents, and teachers to engage in open and honest dialogue,
  • to encourage children to accept personal responsibility for their learning.

Times for Learning Conversations are:

Wednesday 15 June 12:30pm – 5:30pm and Thursday 16 June 3:15pm – 6:00pm

On Wednesday 15 June the school will close at 12.00pm, can you please collect your child at this time this is only for Wednesday 15 June.

Each learning conversation session lasts for 15 minutes.

To make an interview booking go to www.schoolinterviews.co.nz. The school code is vvn5b

School closed for Matariki

School will be closed to celebrate Matariki on Friday 24 June. 

Matariki is a special occasion in the New Zealand calendar which marks the start of the Māori New Year. Signified by the Matariki cluster of stars reappearing in our night sky, this is a time to reflect on the past year, celebrate the present, and plan for the year ahead.

KERI Awards

Well done to the following children who received Caught by KERI awards at this weeks virtual assembly.

Team Te Ohanga

Team Kiwi

Team Pukeko

Team Tui

Kindness

Jaxon

Zylah

Jaxon

Riyan

Excellence

Emily

Charlie

Katherine

Tyla W

Respect

Jaxson

Fuzion

Leo

Jade

Integrity

Hayden

Eli

Lewis

Ryan

Principal Award Winners

Congratulations to our principal award winners from last week.

Kids Corner

Our Year 2s have been busy being authors and below is some fantastic writing from them.

Room 6

The Rainforest

I can see sparkling rain falling from the sky. I can hear mosquitoes buzzing. I can feel snakes crawling on me. I can smell lovely, smooshy mud on the floor. I wonder how many waterfalls there are in the Amazon?

By Ella Petersen

My amazing weekend

Guess what? On Saturday I zoomed to the gigantic Warehouse to get a toy. I went with my Mum. I felt so happy.

By Fuzion Stevens

My riddle

I am big.

I am scaly.

I have a scaly tail.

I have a smile.

I live in a river.

What am I?

By Hazel Bulkeley

Swinging

I can see the bright sun. I can hear the wind woosh. I can feel the wind on my face.

Malakai Brahne

Dear Mum

Thanks for being a kind Mum. You are the best Mum in the world. I love you because you are kind and sweet. Every morning I kiss you and hug you. Love Zoe

Zoe Dunn

Room 8

Clownfish Story

One day two friends were swimming in the sea. First they saw a shipwreck. Suddenly a shark came out and it ate one of the fish and so the other fish was all alone. 

Archie Fletcher, Room 8

Kiwi Story

Once upon a time kiwis flew. Now they can’t fly. They don’t have rainbow wings, they are brown. I can see a long beak and short strong sturdy legs. They are so fluffy. They are brown and camouflaged.

Charlie Baybut, Room 8

Orangutans Report

They have orange fur. They like spiky fruit. They live in Borneo and Sumatra forests. They have long, strong arms.

Amelia, Room 8

Clownfish Moment in Time

I can see the orange, black and white clown fish. I can hear the clown fish popping out bubbles. I can feel the coral. It is squishy.

Eli, Room 8

Oat the Goat Story

Brave Oat the Goat was walking through the cold, dark, scary forest. He had a big growth mindset. He was very cautious. He ambled through the dark, scary, cold forest. He had to be quiet because there were sheep laughing but…he stood up for the green, stinky tree. He also made another green lantern friend because he was kind. He was very handy. They were both handy actually. The story is you always have to stand up for people because that shows kindness.

Ahaana, Room 8

Room 12

The Lion

In the morning I heard a loud roar so I went down the stairs.  I can’t believe my eyes.  In the lounge  there was a lion sitting on the couch.  The lion was reading a book.

Elaina Conaglen Room 12

My bedroom

About my bedroom.  I like my bedroom because I have a flower blanket.  I sleep with my sister and she is named Ava.  I feel good about my bedroom because it is nice and safe.  Also, my floor is fluffy but my dad is going to take the floor off and put on a new one.

Cleo McIlroy Room 12

My weekend

On the weekend I went to my grandma’s house.  I stayed there for six days.  I fed the alpacas but one of the alpacas spit.  So my cousin’s mum told the alpaca not to spit but the alpaca did not listen.  So his mum just put the food down.

Polly Xuan Room 12

The lion

I was sleeping but there was a noise.  I checked downstairs.  There was a lion, he was reading a blue book.  He was shouting at me but he was trying to say hello.  And then the lion got up because he was going to cook me breakfast.  I said thank you.  When I was eating his breakfast the lion left.  I said “you can stay”.  The lion was reading the book again.

Mellad Melladi Room 12

Room 23

The Rainforest

There are 2 kinds of rainforest. The temperate and the tropical. There are 4 layers of the rainforest. They are the emergent, the canopy, the understory and the forest floor. On the emergent layer there are animals and insects like a toucan and butterflies. On the canopy layer there are sloths, orangutans and spider monkeys. On the understory layer there are jaguars and leopards. On the forest floor it is wet and slippery and there are spiders and tigers.

Evie Wakelin Room 23

The Rainforest 

In the rain forest there are frogs at the canopy level that can kill people.  There are snakes, sloths and it is dark with muddy trees. There are 4 layers.

1. Emergent.
  2. Canopy.
  3. Understory.
  4. Forest floor.

Alex Stevens Room 23

Orangutans

Appearance

They have red shaggy hair. They have long arms and short legs.

Habitat

They live in trees. They live in Sumatra and Borneo. They live in a rainforest.

Diet

They are omnivores. They mostly eat fruit. They may also eat eggs or bugs.

Interesting fact.

They are the largest animals in the world that live in trees. Their arms are very strong. This helps them climb trees. They use their fingers to grab and hold. Their feet can grab things too. They have 1 baby at a time. The baby lives with its mother for 7 years. Adults usually live alone. They live up to 40 years.

Madison Sims

Kia ora e te whānau,

On week 8, from Monday/Rāhina, te 20 Hune/June to Thursday/Rāpare, te 23 o Hune/June, our kura will be celebrating Matariki 2022 (Maori New Year) with various events and activities. Feel free to take a look at our Planning Overview here

Students will need to bring materials for making a kite on Tuesday/Rātū, te 21 o June/Hune. See Information for kite making materials if you need help.

On Wednesday/Rāapa, te 22 o June/Hune, we will have a shared morning tea in our classrooms so students will need to bring in something to share..

Finally, on Thursday/Rāpare, te 23 o June/Hune, at 1:15pm, the whole kura/school will walk to Metro Park to fly our manu tukutuku/kites at 1:30pm. This is always a hit with the tamariki and you are all welcome to come along.

Key dates for Matariki:

Monday/Rāhina, te 20 o June/Hune Silverdale School Matariki activities begin

Tuesday/Rātū, te 21 o June/Hune Bring in materials for kite making Information for kite making materials

Wednesday/Rāapa, te 22 o June/Hune Shared morning tea (Students to bring a plate with listed ingredients)

Thursday//Rāpare, te 23 o July/Hune Kite Flying at Metro Park (Open to whānau)

Meet at Metro Park at 1:30pm 

Friday//Rāmere, te 24 o June/Hune Matariki Public Holiday (The first Matariki public holiday in history)

Ngā mihi nui

Reporting Positive Covid and Household Contacts

Positive Covid

Contact Cameron (cameronlockie@silverdaleprimary.school.nz) use this format:

Child’s Name:

Child’s Room Number:

Date of positive test or first symptoms:

Last Day at School:

No need to test on returning back to school on Day 8.

Household Contact

1. Email classroom teacher
  2. Email Office (office@silverdaleprimary.school.nz)
  3. Test child at Day 3 and Day 7 if both tests are negative and they have no symptoms and they are healthy then they can return to school.

Pick Up and Drop off Students

Scheduled Appointments

If you have a scheduled appointment for your child during school hours please follow these instructions:

1. Email the teacher and office (all teachers emails are on the School Website) before 8.30am with the time you will be collecting your child. 
  2. You will pick your child up from the stop, drop, go area.
  3. Please stay in the car and the teacher/office will release your child at the specified time that you have requested.
  4. Please call or text this number 0273369199 telling us that you have your child.

Early Pick Up

If you need to pick your child up from school before 3.00pm please follow these instructions:

1. Email the office and teacher what time you need to pick up your child. office@silverdaleprimary.school.nz
  2. You will pick up your child from the stop, drop, go area.
  3. Please stay in your car and call or text this number 0273369199 telling us you are at school.
  4. We will send your child to you, please stay in your car.
  5. Please call or text this number 0273369199 telling us that you have your child.

Late Drop Off

If you are dropping your child to school late, please do not get out of your car just send your child to their classroom, they do not need to go to the office.

Cameron Lockie
Tumuāki/Principal

YEARS 3-6 SILVERDALE SCHOOL CHEER & Tumbling with Crave Athletics

CHEER & Tumbling builds strength, develops coordination, enhances flexibility, teaches teamwork and increases self-confidence. What’s not to love? During practices, athletes will be taught the basic foundations of all things CHEER & Tumbling with a different focus each lesson!

No prior experience required!!

𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗘𝗥 & 𝗧𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗧𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗦𝗶𝗹𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗱𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀!

Lunchtime – Wednesday 22nd June – Silverdale School Hall

Available to any students Years 3-6 only

𝙋𝙧𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙄𝙣𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣:

Join us for practices, set up exclusively for SILVERDALE on WEDNESDAY’S @ lunchtime, in the school hall. These sessions will begin after our FREE Taster Session on Wednesday 22nd June. 

Complete the online, no commitment, interest form to register your child’s interest:

Interest Form:

https://forms.gle/KBreHSwyEWEbLuUr8

Supporting other children through Kindo
Kindo is adding a new feature to your myKindo portal enabling you to gift to others… starting with KidsCan. You will be able to buy lunch, shop and pay for our school items as normal, and you will now see some KidsCan donation offers on the checkout page.
Kindo will provide the donation receipts so you can claim back the 33% tax rebate – or sign up to TaxGift or Supergenerous to gift the rebate too.
If you have any questions or feedback, please email hello@mykindo.co.nz

Thank you to our Newsletter Sponsors

Community Notices

Copyright © Silverdale School 2022
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 426 5510
4 Longmore Lane Silverdale Auckland 0992