Announcement : 

Term Dates 2024 Term 1: Wed 7 Feb – Fri 12 AprTerm 2: Mon 29 Apr – Fri 5 JulTerm 3: Mon 22 Jul – Fri 27 SepTerm 4: Mon 14 Oct – Thur 19 Dec

Newsletter Wednesday 6 April 2022

SILVERDALE SCHOOL
School Newsletter
Learn to Journey – Journey to Learn
Ako ki te Haere – Haere ki te Ako

Wednesday 6 April 2022

Kia ora, Talofa, Malo e leleli, Kia orana, Fakalofa lahi Atu, Taloha Ni, Ni sa bula, 你好, Namaste, 안녕하세요, Hola, Xin chao. 

Welcome

Welcome to Jesse Zhao who started with us this week. Our current roll is 794.

Mufti Day for Ukraine Thursday 14 April.

I was handed a letter on Monday while on crossing duty from Lucas in Room 2. In his letter he asked if the school could have a mufti day and all the money to go to Ukraine. What a great idea I said to him. 

So on Thursday 14 April we will have a mufti day and all the money raised will go to Save The Children https://www.savethechildren.org/us/where-we-work/ukraine

Children can come in mufti on Thursday 14 April, if they can wear something yellow and blue that would be great. If not that’s all good and all children are to bring in a gold coin.

Teacher Only Day

Our school will be having a teacher only day on Friday 3 June where the staff will be working on our curriculum framework. Kelly Club will be operating on Friday 3 June.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to Aaliyah-Kay Tuake, Riley Bohm, Raimee Wo-Onsri, Will Thomson, James Park, Timothy Watkins, Amari Randeni, Aedan Randeni, Hayley Southam, Gisele Gibson, Aimee Whorwood, Sophia Albert, Meredith Chen, Zack Grobbelaar, Vivaan Joshi, Archer Franklin and Molly Briant.

KIDS CORNER

Room 8 Writing

Room 8 have been writing about “A Moment in Time”. They have been using their feelings to describe what’s happening in the photo.

I can see the eggs sitting on the carton and I can smell the strawberry cake wafting through the air.

I can hear the mum pouring the milk. I can feel the plastic cup and I can taste strawberry cake.

By Nico West Room 8

Do I have a story for you? I can see the children mixing the strawberry cake. I can hear the eggs cracking in the bowl. I can smell the cake wafting in the sky. I can feel the delicious strawberry cake. I can see the yummy strawberry cake.

By Lomi Li Room 8

Room 38 Artwork and Kiwi Conservation Club

Some of Room 38 shark artwork is shared on the Kiwi Conservation Club website/facebook. Check it out here: https://kcc.org.nz/portfolio/savesharks/

Room 24 Camp Writing

YEAR 6 CAMP 2022 

Camp, well let me think, it was packed full of fun. As soon as we got there we were on the go! It was morning tea, shoes on and activities. We did rock climbing, mountain boarding, team building, orienteering, safe boating, coasteering and archery. And did I mention the spot light, bush walk, water slide, feeding the kunekune pigs, quiz, manhunt and heaps of free play?

I found that archery was really hard and I kept on hitting the ground. It was so funny! The least enjoyable part of camp was the food because I am a really picky eater.

To make camp even better I think that we should have an activity each day so camp would be 7 days long and I also think we should have more water activities.

After camp I would go again. It was so fun! I feel like I want to go again and again.

The thing I found that was the easiest was rock climbing, it was also one of my favourite parts of camp. I also loved mountain boarding because of how fast the downhill was!

What I have learnt from camp is giving everything a go and being brave. I loved camp and I would love to go again. 

Grace Norrie Room 24

2022 Year 6 Camp at Shakespear Lodge

There wasn’t a thing we didn’t do at Shakespear Lodge 2022 year six camp. With Coaststeering, Archery, Safe boating , Rock climbing, Team building, a big bush walk and orienteering our schedule was full.

Although it was fun, Coasteering was by far the most challenging. If I had a choice, I would not do Coaststeering again. The least enjoyable part of camp is going to bed. you could not sleep at all and the fact that you had a lot of activities the next day was no better.

To make camp even better next time I would like to stay longer because there wasn’t much time between each activity to get dressed and have a snack before the next one.

I would most definitely go on another school camp by choice. It is good to try new things and have extra time with friends!

For me, the easiest thing was rock climbing! It is really easy climbing up the walls. Although it was pretty tiring and challenging to go on the red level. The activity I enjoyed the most was mountain boarding. Who would have thought sliding down the mountain would be that much fun.

The best part about camp was learning to fold my sleeping bag with a simple trick.

Jean de Klerk Room 24

Silverdale School Esports Club

Silverdale School and Matua Nick are proud to announce the foundation of the Silverdale School Esports Club. This club will be run during lunchtimes in which senior students can team up with mates and compete against other students in non-violent games such as Rocket League for pride, KERI Stars and bragging rights. 

To help with the foundation of this club, Matua Nick is asking if there is anyone in the school community that has an old but in good working order PS4 that they would like to donate to the school or we could take off your hands for a good price. We are looking for 2 PS4s and 4 controllers.

If you do, please contact Matua Nick at nickbateman@silverdaleprimary.school.nz.

Look forward to hearing from you.  

KERI Awards

Well done to the following children who received Caught by KERI awards at Monday’s virtual assembly. 

Team Te Ohanga

Team Kiwi

Team Pukeko

Team Tui

Kindness

Hayden

Erin

Chane and Chloe

Jake

Excellence

Lachlan

Sagi

Ellie

Finlay

Respect

Jhett

Zoe

Sophia

Cameryn

Integrity

Jaxson

Iris

Alex

Khan

PTA

The PTA has donated $60,000 to our school from their fundraising efforts from last year. This is a truly amazing amount especially as we didn’t have our biggest fundraising event, our Country Show Day. Thank you to everyone who took part in any of the fund raising events last year. We have some awesome plans for the money, more details to come.

PTA Fundraiser via Kindo

Just a reminder that orders for Hot Cross buns close off this Friday 8 April. Order via Kindo.

Delivery will be made to classrooms on Wednesday 13 April.

PTA Mother’s Day fundraiser 

Mother’s Day High Tea – Sunday 1 May

Get together with your Mum, Sisters, Grandmothers and Girlfriends for a fun afternoon.

There will be a fashion show, guest speaker running a workshop and spot prizes.

$55 ticket price includes; afternoon tea, a glass of Prosecco or OJ on arrival and you’ll go into the draw to win an epic Mother’s Day hamper.

Purchase tickets through Kindo or by emailing silverdalepta@gmail.com

Cameron Lockie
Tumuāki/Principal

Thank you to our Newsletter Sponsors

Community Notices

If you’ve ever dreamed of pulling on the Black jersey you can put your knowledge and skills to the test when you join one of our exclusive Player Tours.  Each Player tour is hosted by an All Black Legend who will provide behind the scenes knowledge from their days in one of the world’s most successful teams, providing personal insight in to what it takes to pull on the Black jersey as well as telling stories of their adventures on and off the pitch.

For details, our location, pricing and timetables https://www.experienceallblacks.com/conference-and-events/player-tours/

What’s in this issue for parents?

» 8 family-life habits for a healthy immune system

» How to: Encourage your kids to open up

» Kids shoes! They might look great, but do they fit properly?

» Egg-cellent Easter recipes. Yuuuum! and (as always) EPIC GIVEAWAYS

Ask your tamariki to find this issue’s Te Reo Māori words including kōrero, hēki, kura, and hei mahi

Thank you to everyone for supporting our digital magazine, it means we are able to share our magazine with more kiwi parents and whānau, in a format that is super visual and phone user friendly (75% of your parents will be reading on their phone!). We know that some families find it more enjoyable to read a hard copy so if you would like 50 or more copies for your school’s parents, margie@totstoteens.co.nz can assist you.

We are proud to be Aotearoa’s favourite parenting magazine, with 450,000 free magazines distributed each year through schools, pre-schools, libraries and Plunket, for the last 19 years. We also distribute digital copies to over 5,000 New Zealand ECEs, primary and intermediate schools nationwide.

Copyright © Silverdale School 2022
Click here to unsubscribe.
Powered by KiwiSchools 4.0
Call us on 09 426 5510
4 Longmore Lane Silverdale Auckland 0992