Learn to Journey - Journey to Learn
Ako ki te Haere - Haere ki te Ako
Our Values ● Kindness - Atawhai ● Excellence - Hiranga ● Respect - Whakaute ● Integrity - Ngākau pono
WELCOME TO SILVERDALE SCHOOL
Welcome to our great school. My name is Cameron Lockie and I’m very privileged to be the principal of Silverdale School - Ko te kura o Te Weiti.
Our school values are:
At Silverdale School we believe:
* positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt;
* individual children are not a ‘problem’ – we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour;
* punishing and isolating children doesn’t bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour;
* we need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work;
* there are no quick fixes. Behaviour change takes time.
Our children are continually learning what it means to show, Kindness/Atawhai, Excellence/Hiranga, Respect/Whakaute and Integrity/Ngākau pono and are continuously make great efforts to show these values.
Something to think about, a quote by John Herner which can be seen as an underlying theme of positive behaviour.
“If a child doesn’t know how to read, we teach.
If a child doesn’t know how to swim, we teach.
If a child doesn’t know how to multiply, we teach.
If a child doesn’t know how to drive, we teach.
If a child doesn’t know how to behave, we… ….teach? ….punish?
Why can’t we finish the last sentence as automatically as we do the others?”
These values came out of discussion with the children and staff in 2017. Every second Monday we have a KERI assembly which reinforces our values and we also reinforce a behaviour expectations Our school-wide incentive programme is our Caught by KERI Stars, children can receive a Caught by KERI Stars for displaying one of our values. These Caught by KERI Stars and then collected and the children go into a draw to pick out of the prize box at our KERI assembly.